Email Marketing: Help Your Community Theater Harness the Powerful Tool of Cross Selling
Why Confirmation Emails?
Here are just a few reasons why confirmation emails are a great place for marketing:
- According to Clickz, 74% of confirmations emails are open and read within an hour of receipt.
- Often the email recipient is still in a highly receptive state to your organization because confirmation emails are usually sent within minutes of the original transaction occurring. You are still at the forefront of their mind!
- According to Bain and Company, repeat customers spend (on average) 67% more than new customers – this means that your repeat customers are much easier (and cheaper) to sell to!
- According to Econsultancy’s 2014 Email Marketing Industry Census, email marketing was ranked as the best channel in terms of ROI – with 68% of the 1,100 respondents rating the channel as either ‘good’ or ‘excellent.’
- The 2014 Email Marketing Industry Census also showed that on average, companies were attributing 23% of total sales to the email marketing channel, compared to 18% in 2013 – so it’s effectiveness is actually increasing!
So there are the answers to “Why?”…but what about “How?” We’ll start you off with a few best practices and then leave you with four great ideas for boosting your cross selling.
Email Marketing Best Practices
- Include a strong call-to-action. Think bold and bright!
- The call-to-action should be front and center. Even though the reader is likely still very receptive to your organization and email content, you can’t count on the customer scrolling to the bottom of the email. Try to include the call-to-action as close as possible to the confirmation information.
- It should also make sense! Whatever event you are pushing for, make sure that it’s relevant to the customer’s previous purchase. This will help to ensure that your offer is as appealing as possible.
4 Super Ways to Boost Your Cross-Selling Efforts
1) Include a Coupon Code for a Future Purchase
Coupon codes really sweeten the deal for customers…especially the ones that have already purchased tickets to one of your events. According to Business Wire, 83% of consumers made unplanned purchases because of a promotion code…so why not take advantage of this! Consider including a coupon code for one of your other upcoming events.And check popular weekly ads:
Avon Catalog, Publix Weekly Ad, Aldi Ad, Safeway Ad
Cvs Weekly Ad, Aldi Catalogue, Coles Catalogue, Woolworths Catalogue
Note: Make sure to have a system in place that will help your organization track which promotional codes are generating the most interest!
2) Offer Your Fans a New Experience
Consider offering an additional add-on for your event’s tickets – perhaps it’s a backstage pass, or an exclusive meet and greet with your fabulous performers. These types of experiences help your fans and patrons to connect with your organization and increase the likelihood that they’ll return for another event on your calendar.
3) Encourage Customers to Join Your Loyalty Program or Purchase Season Tickets
Try including an offer for either a concession loyalty program or a subscription for season tickets. This will give your customers a reason to keep coming back to your organization and help turn a one-time customer into a fan for life.
4) Promote Your Upcoming Events
Last but certainly not least, you should absolutely be promoting your organization’s upcoming season! Capitalize on the receptiveness of your reader and make them aware of what’s up next. Hopefully, with a little luck and a strong call-to-action, you will sell even more tickets.
Hopefully these tips, tricks and best practices have got the wheels turning for how your community theater can harness the power of cross selling in confirmation emails!